[CinCVS] Re: Cinelerra.org

Richard Baverstock cinelerra at skolelinux.no
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 13:08:09 -0400

Hello Rick (and Adam Williams, and the Unofficial CVS Mailing List),

This email is going to Adam Williams (aka Heroine Virtual Ltd. or
Heroines), the owner of heroinewarrior.com and author of Cinelerra, as
well as the public Unofficial Cinelerra CVS mailing list. This message
serves two things: to let you know on my position with the domain, as I
believe Herman may have already told you about, and for me to make a
public statement on my standing with how the domain is currently set up,
and what needs to happen to have any changes made to it.

We thought a lot about the implications of registering cinelerra.org. My
standing from the beginning has been this: If Adam Williams, the
maintainer of http://heroinewarrior.com and the developer of Cinelerra,
wants the domain, all he has to do is ask. I'll even pay for the domain,
as a donation to his efforts; I have no problems with that at all. All
he has to do is ask.

Apart from us registering the domain to use it, we also registered it so
that someone else doesn't cybersquat it, like cinelerra.com. Obviously,
according to Adam Williams' site, he just sees us as cybersquatters.

Before we registered the domain, we checked the US trademark, as well as
the Canadian and a few European trademark databases online, but did not
find Cinelerra trademarked under any of these databases. Now, maybe we
missed something, but I'm not a lawyer, and to my knowldedge, there was
no legal infraction by registering the domain name.

Now, regarding your question about redirection: Going to cinelerra.org,
there is a link directly on the first page to the heroinewarrior.com
website, stating that it is the website of the developer. It has been
like this from the beginning. You'll also find links to the Unofficial
CVS, a community effort to provide user support and patches, and a
community wiki.

So, all in all: Adam Williams, if you want the domain, tell me, and I'll
transfer it over. We don't want to be a thorn in anyone's foot; we just
want to help out in the best way possible, and compliment your efforts.

Thank you for your request, but until I hear from Adam Williams, I do
not know his standing on the usage of the domain so it will be left as
it currently is setup.

Sincerely,

Richard