[CinCVS] Newbie: questions and "Cinelerra Philosophy"

Herman Robak cinelerra at skolelinux.no
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:50:34 +0200

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 20:54, Marco Iannaccone wrote:
> Nathan Kurz wrote:

> >Should work fine, with the exception of Raw DV with 32000 Hz audio.
> >
> Well... so.. it should normally import AVI DV Type 1, AVI DV Type 2,
> QuickTime with Apple DV codec, all with audio stereo 16 bit 48 KHz?
> I got problems with audio a video importing AVI DV Type 2, notjhing
> imported inporting AVI DV Type 1, and only audio imported importing
> QuickTime with Apple DV codec.

 Type 1 is not supported, type 2 is.  Quicktime DV is supported,
but I have not tested input from software codecs, only from camera.
Could you provide a short sample (3 seconds should do fine) from
Apple's DV codec?

> I'm using cinelerra-1.2.1-1.i386.rpm downloaded from
> http://heroinewarrior.com/.
> Isn't it the last version?

 It's the last official version.  cvs.cinelerra.org has a branch
of that, where changes are made all the time.  There are Debian
and RPM packages built from that source.  This mailing list is
for the CVS.

 cvs.cinelerra.org does not have the very last version.  Cinelerra's
author does his own development privately, and doesn't have a public
CVS.  Our CVS is a playground for those who want to add features and
fix bugs in Cinelerra.  It is more convenient than submitting patches
to Cinelerra's patch submission interface at Sourceforge.

>  Does Cinelerra allow me to import AVI DV files
> directly and handles them directly, allowing me to generate an AVI DV
> files as rendering output, or no?
> And in this case, does it compress all the frames, or just the edited
> ones, preserving quality and improving rendering performances?

 Yes, that is what pass-through means.  If you don't use effects
and transitions, then DV frames will be copied, not re-rendered.
If that is not the case, you have encountered a bug.  It has had
a bug like that before.

> But... In the version I have, I can't choose wheter to use progressive
> scanning or interlaced scanning (and in this case, the field order). It
> it possible or not?

 Cinelerra has no notion of interlacing.  You have frames, period.
Each frame will consist of two fields, which Cinelerra treats as
one frame.  In those cases that really matters, you can work around
it by setting the framerate to 50 (if you are in PAL land) and using
the fields-to-frames effect.  I am afraid you will have to re-render
once to use this trick.  Cumbersome, I know.  How often does it matter?

> >>4) I don't actually get the way clips are handles on the timeline. I'm
> >>familiar with Avid style editing, and also with things like Premiere,
> >>Final Cut, or even Vegas, but don't actually understand the way
> >>Cinelerra handles things.
> >
> >This is one of the areas I think could use the most improvement.
> >It's an area I'm hoping to do some work on.  Searching the archives
> >for the last few months should produce a few exchanges on this topic.
> >In the meantime, a clearly written idea of how you think it should
> >work might be good to have as a reference piece.
> >
> But.. who's actually working on Cinelerra

 Adam Williams, aka Jack Crossfire, aka Heroine Warrior is working
on the versions found on Sourceforge.  He's the original author,
and has worked on Broadcast 2000 and its successor Cinelerra since
1997.  He accept some patches, and makes a summary of what he has
accepted and rejected in the changelogs, 4 times a year.

> and.. how many versions and forks exist?

 We prefer the word "branch", as we merge with Adam's releases.
As far as I know, cvs.cinelerra.org is the only public one.

> What binary file should I download, and from where?

 <http://cvs.cinelerra.org/index.html#packages> has links.
Packages are available for Debian for x86 and PowerPC (Debian on Mac)
and SuSE 9.  Others have made packages for Fedora.

--
 Herman Robak